Hello readers, today we are going to talk in this article on the Kodi Download for Android, iOS & PC devices. This article is about a software called Kodi App. Here we are going to talk about the features of this app, the process of to download Kodi for various platforms and how to use it on your devices as well.
Kodi APK was formerly known as XBMC. It is a free open source media player that uses 10-foot UI for use with TV and remote controls. It lets you watch media content from your storage device through your TV. Furthermore, you can stream from the internet websites which provide streaming services.
If you want to know more about the app and how to download and how to use it, then this article is specifically for you.
Kodi Download for Android from Google Play Store
In this first section of the article, we will move to the Kodi App guides and help you all to get this amazing app for yourselves and your friends.
We are going to see how to get a hold of this app for the Android platform by the means of the official Google Play Store market app.
The Android platform, which is the most used operating system for smartphones around the world. We are going to explain the method of downloading the app from the Google Play Store. You just have to follow the steps given below to get a hold of the app.
- First of all open the Play Store from the app drawer of your Android device.
- You must be logged in with your Google account to access the Store. If you don’t have one, you can create a Gmail account very easily.
- The next step is to look for the app by typing “Kodi” in the search bar at the top of the Play Store home screen.
- Tap on the Kodi APK icon from the search results.
- Now you will be directed to this page. There, you have to click on “Install”.
- After that, a permission page will appear, that you must allow for the app to run. Tap on “Install”.
|Kodi App Specifications:||Details:|
|Download Size:||85.00 MB|
|Platform Support:||Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Chromecast, etc.|
|New Features:||Music, Movies, TV Shows, Pictures, etc|
|Video Quality:||High Definition, Full HD|
|Latest Update on:||4th Feb 2017|
|Updated App Name:||Kodi 17 Krypton|
How to install Kodi App?
- 1 Kodi Download for Android from Google Play Store
- 2 Kodi Download APK for Android:
- 3 Download Kodi for iPhone & iOS:
- 4 Kodi for PC Windows Download
Ultimately, Kodi App will be installed on your Android device and you can use it. This was the Kodi download process from the Play Store. In the next part, we are going to explain yet another method for downloading the app.
Kodi Download APK for Android:
As you have seen in the previous part, Android has the largest base of smartphone users from around the world. So, if you want the Kodi App, then you can get it very easily from any corner of the web and install it on your phone. The method which we are going to talk about here is the Kodi APK download method.
In addition to having an Android smartphone, you must have certain system configuration that must match the system requirements. This is needed to allow Kodi APK to be installed on your phone. You need to have the following configuration on your phone.
- Your Android smartphone must have Android version 4.2 or higher.
- You must have at least 512 MB RAM on your device for lag free performance.
- There must be a minimum of 100 MB of free space on your device storage for Kodi APK to install itself.
Furthermore, you will need to tweak your device a bit if you want to properly install Kodi Download App as we are downloading it from a third-party site. Third-party apps are generally perceived as untrusted applications because they are not registered with Google play. To get rid of this problem is pretty easy.
The first thing you are going to need to do is to configure your device to let it install apps from third-party sources.
- To do this, go to Settings. Consequently, tap on Application manager.
- Look for an option named Unknown sources under there.
- You will see a little checkbox provided in front of that option. Tick mark the box and it will set you up for the rest of the process.
- Now, you need to download the kodi.apk which you are going to need for manual installation.
- Once you tap on this link the download process will automatically begin.
- The file size is around 60 MB so you will have to wait for a little while before the Kodi APK download is complete.
- After the download process is complete, go to your downloads folder and tap on the Kodi Download file.
- The Android Package Installer will display a list of the permissions that it requires to fulfill to install the app.
- Click on “Next” until you see “Install”. Tap on it to begin Install Kodi APK.
This will install the Kodi App successfully on your Android device. You can now stream media from your local or network storage. If you have a properly working internet connection, then you can even stream media directly from the media streaming websites like YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, etc.
Download Kodi for iPhone & iOS:
Most of the smartphone users in the world run on the two biggest smartphone platforms that the world has ever seen. Now, a bulk of the users uses the Android operating system because of its open source nature. After the Android OS, at the second place, comes the iOS platform.
iPhone has been a symbol of class since the release of the first iPhone. Unlike Android, iOS is not open source. It has its pros and cons. But, we are not here to talk about that. Let’s see how to get Kodi App for the iOS platform. We don’t want the iOS users to feel left out now, do we?
So, let’s get on with it. There are basically two methods to download and install the Kodi App on your iOS device, be it an iPhone, iPod, or an iPad. You have two options to get your hands on the app.
Method 1: Cydia App method
- To get Kodi App via this method, you must have the Cydia app installed on your iOS device.
- If you don’t have it, you can get it from this link: cydiaios7.com
- After installing Cydia, open it and search for Cydia in the search bar.
- In the search results, select “All packages” after selecting “Team Kodi”.
- Confirm the installation. After the app is installed, select “complete”.
Method 2: Using the deb file installation process
Unfortunately, for you to be able to use this method, your iOS device must be Jailbreaking. Now, Jailbreaking is basically like rooting your phone. It will void your warranty, but if your willing to take that risk then do it. The steps of the process have been listed out below.
- After Jailbreaking the device, open the Cydia app. Then search for iFile and download the file.
- Download the deb file of Kodi App from the given link. (refer above link please)
- Tap on the file and select “open in” and then select iFile.
- Click on the install app when iFile opens. It will automatically install the app on your device.
- After the completion of the above steps, reboot or restart your device.
You are now ready to use the app on your iOS device. The Apple developer team has been constantly making improvements in the iOS platform so that the users have a better experience while using apps like Kodi App on their iOS device without any hassle.
Kodi for PC Windows Download
Kodi App is a media streaming software. Users might have come across a thought; What would be a better way to watch movies on smartphones or tablets? Yes, the answer is on a PC with a big screen. Even if you don’t have a big screen PC, the experience will be amplified than on a smartphone screen.
Using the Kodi APK App on a PC will also give you some added advantages. You won’t have to worry about the battery issues or the storage shortage that you face with a smartphone or a tablet. The difference of battery backup and storage capacity is tremendous. With a desktop, you can eliminate the battery backup aspect entirely. Get a hard-disk and forget about the shortage of storage.
Tutorial to download Kodi for Windows
But before you can use Kodi for PC, there is a system requirement that the app is gonna need to have to work properly on your PC.
- The minimum Windows OS that Kodi App can work with is Windows Vista. But, the recommended version is either Windows 7, 8, or 10.
We currently have two methods to Download Kodi on your Windows PC. You can choose either one of them according to your convenience.
Method 1: Official application of Kodi provided for the Windows platform
- To get started with this process, you need to download the .exe file for the installation purpose.
- You can get the file from here. (Download the Kodi .exe file)
- Note that the file may take some time to download as it is quite large in size.
- Once the Kodi download process is complete, double click on the .exe file to start the installation process.
- Click on the required buttons to progress through the installation process.
You will be able to see the app icon on your desktop after the installation process is complete. Now, let’s take a look at the second method.
Method 2: With the help of an Android emulator.
- To move forward with this method, the first thing that you need to have is an Android emulator. An Android emulator is basically an app on your PC which “mimics” the Android OS and lets you run Android apps on your PC.
- The best Android emulator out there is the Bluestacks emulator which you can get from the official site.
- Clicking on this link will automatically start the download process. You will have to be patient for a while as the file may take some time to download. The file is around 315 MB.
- After the download is complete, click on the setup file to initiate the process. Bluestacks will be installed in no time.
- Signup with your credentials and get the app up and running.
- The next step is to download the Kodi APK from here.
- Right-click the file and select “Open with Bluestacks”.
Hence, the APK file will be installed and you will be able to use Kodi App on your PC just as you did on your smartphone or tablet. But, with a bigger screen and some added advantages. You can choose either of the above-mentioned methods to get the Kodi for Android.
Download Kodi for Mac
This App has been an open source software since its launch. Furthermore, the code of Kodi download app has been written in C++ language. This allows different developers from around the world to participate in the tweaking and modding of the app to make it better with every iteration.
After it was announced for various platforms, Mac OS was also one of them. The requirements of Kodi for Mac OS are the bare minimum. Kodi App version 15 and 16 requires Mac OS X 10.7. So if your Mac matches the requirement then everything should be fine.
Here are the steps you need to follow for the Kodi APK Download process for Mac.
- First and foremost step of Kodi download process is that you will need to download the .dmg file of the app. (Download Kodi .dmg file)
- Extract the contents of the .dmg file to get a disk image of the App.
- After that, you will see a disk drive on your screen.
- Open the disk image of the Kodi program that you extracted.
- Click and drag the image file to the Applications folder on the screen.
- Then right-click on the disk drive image of the app and select “Eject”.
Remember: If you are not able to open the Applications, then click on the little Apple icon, then select the System preference option. Then you must go to “Privacy and security” and undo the lock which is at the bottom left corner of the screen. Open “Allow apps downloaded from:” option and then select Anywhere from the options.
In this way, you can configure your Mac device properly. Finally, the Kodi will be stored in your Application menu of your Mac device. Following these simple steps will give you access to the app on your Mac.
How to use Kodi App?
As all of us already know what Kodi APK is, we can move on to the process of how to actually use it. Kodi download app is actually very simple to use. And, with our guidance in place, you will no longer be confused as to how to use the app.
When you install the app for the first time on your device, you will see a blue background along with a carousel on it. Let’s see the quick guide on how to use this app for video and music content.
Guide for viewing a video on Kodi Download:
- When you click on “Video”, it presents two options before you. If you want to watch videos from your hard disk, click on “Files”.
- Once you are there, you can view all of your files with the help of Kodi App’s inbuilt browser.
- If you can’t find the files you are looking for, then you should place them in a folder which can be found easily.
- Adding videos is pretty easy. Select Add files, then scroll to the folder you created and save it as a source. You can name however you want and from there it’s a cakewalk.
- You can even stream from the web. For that, click on Add-ons and then click on get more. A menu will appear with a list of extensions. Choose any of them you like, install it and you can stream your favorite content from the web.
- Kodi free download also provides a set of controls to navigate through the videos and if go back to the main screen, the playback will be displayed in the background.
Guide for listening to music on Kodi:
- This process is extremely similar to the one for watching videos. Once you select the option of Music on the main screen, you will have two options to choose from.
- One will be to select music from your own tracks and the other to search the internet.
- You can add your music folder as a source by clicking on Add music and then select the folder you want to add.
- If you want a change of music, click on Add-ons and then on get more. You can select from the available music extensions.
I’m sure that by now you all must have understood how to use Kodi Download App for streaming video and music content. As you all have seen it is pretty much easy because it does not contain any complex interface.
How to use Kodi Chromecast?
Kodi App is one of the most popular apps for streaming software that you can hope to get. You can install it either on your Android smartphone, PC or an iOS device. Media streamers such as the Google Chromecast, Amazon fire stick, etc. act as a streaming medium between your phone/PC and your TV.
Here’s how you can use the Kodi on Chromecast. Before we start, let’s get it out it in the open. You can’t stream content from the app to Chromecast using an iOS device. You just can’t. We are only going to talk about Android devices in this part.
- Download the Chromecast app on your Android device and open it.
- Open the menu and tap on “Cast screen” and the app will walk you through the instructions.
- Open Kodi for Android download file and find the video you want to play and tap on “Play”.
- This will play the video or audio, but you can’t turn off the screen off or pick up calls because it will hinder your viewing experience.
Next, we will teach you to stream content to a Chrome cast from your PC.
- You will need to have Chromecast app as well as Chrome Browser on your computer. It goes without saying that you must have the Kodi app download.
- Open Chrome and click the cast option from the Chromecast extension.
- There will be an option titled “Cast this Tab to……” on the right-hand side. Click on the small arrow pointing downside and click on “Cast entire screen”.
- This will cast your whole PC screen on your TV.
After following the above steps, the only thing left for you to do is to open the Kodi Download app and fire up any video want to watch. After learning about these steps, I’m sure that you now have a clear understanding of how to use Kodi Chromecast.
Kodi for Roku Install:
Roku is a media streaming device. You can easily stream movies, songs and TV series among a lot of other content on your TV. Roku provides great content from one of the best channels. It can be connected to the internet and you can easily view any content.
It also works as a set-top box to stream content from other devices such as your smartphone or PC. You can use your device to cast content on to Roku and then to your TV. Let’ see the procedure required for it.
- First of all, press the home button on your Roku 3. You should at least have a software build of 5.2.
- Then head over to Settings and click on screen mirroring. Enable it and press OK.
- Now, go to you PC and to the start menu. Search for device settings. When you get to the next screen, select “Add device”.
- Click on your “Roku 3”, and you should be able to see a purple screen.
You are all set. Just follow these steps and you will be able to stream content from your PC to your TV using your Roku streaming device. There shouldn’t be any doubt about it that you have clearly understood the process of streaming Kodi download on Roku TV thoroughly.
As you all have seen the amazing features of Kodi and how you can use it on different devices along with how to cast it through different media streaming devices. Now it’s time to see some of its alternatives that are almost similar in features
- Plex: Now, when anyone starts to think about alternatives to Kodi, this is the first name that comes to mind. It is available as a free package as well as a paid package. Plex is available for all the major platforms, so there’s no need to worry if you don’t have the most popular one. It can stream to various devices because it has, client-server architecture. You can easily manage your media and download add-ons that allow you to use a diversity of media.
- OSMC: Open Source Media Center or you can call it by its abbreviated form, OSMC. It is habitually known as one of the new alternatives to Kodi. You can easily stream media from your local or network storage. Above all, OSMC can make use of all of the app’s add-ons. It has support for various WI-Fi adapters and a variety of tuners. Overall, it is a good pick as an alternative for Kodi download app.
- Emby: Back in the day, this app was used as a Media browser only because it had fewer features than users could hope for at that time. But the latest version has packed a lot of features including Folder and Cloud Sync. It also supports different media streaming dongles and all the major platforms. Furthermore, Emby can detect and play DLNA based devices. This can greatly enhance your media watching experience.
- Infuse: Just reading its name makes us think that it is a suitable alternative to the Kodi download file. And yes, it is. It doesn’t just have an awesome name but it also has amazing features. This app should be your pick of you want to watch movies across various platforms. It also supports subtitles and with the help of this app, you will no longer need to convert files to different formats.
Finally, our list of alternatives to Kodi app has four contenders. It’s up to you to select the best alternative based on their features and checking them out in detail. They all are good picks in their respective senses.
Kodi on Firestick
Amazon’s Firestick is wireless streaming dongle is one of the greatest media streaming devices. It is because it provides excellent service at a low price of just $40. If you already own one then you have a made an amazing decision and if you want to try out Kodi download on it, then this part is appropriate for you.
Just follow the simple set of steps given below and you will have to look no further.
- The process of setting up Fire TV stick takes only a few minutes. To start the procedure, you must go to Settings>System>Developer options. And from there you will need to turn “Apps from Unknown sources” is turned on.
- After, you will need to download a file manager. ES file explorer is a good pick.Apart from file management, ES can also help you to download different content from third-party sites.
- Go to the site http://kodi.tv/download and download the app. Once it has downloaded, click on it and install.
- A dialog box will appear with permissions to install the app. Agree to terms and let the app install.
That’s it, fellas. You can now stream any kind of content from your storage or the internet using the Amazon Fire TV Stick. This is a very simple process and you shouldn’t have any troubles streaming Kodi download apk through the Fire TV Stick.
Kodi on Apple TV
In this section of the article, we are going to take a look at how to download and install Kodi download on Apple TV. You will need a free Apple developer account. If you don’t have one, it just takes a few minutes to create one. Also, you are going to need a USB type C cable.
- First, download the latest Kodi.deb file, Xcode 7 and the iOS App signer.
- Now, you have to connect your Mac to the Apple TV using the type C cable.
- Open Xcode. Click on “Create a new Xcode Project”. Then click on tvOS and then on Application. After that select “Single view application”.
- Enter a unique username in the product name field and click on “Create”.
- Open the team drop down menu, select a team and select “Fix issue” button to resolve some initial issues. You have to be logged into Xcode with the developer account that I have previously mentioned.
- To select your Apple TV, click on “product” then destination and then your Apple TV.
- Launch the iOS signer app after minimizing Xcode. Browse and select the .deb file of Kodi that you have downloaded. Select your Apple ID in the signing certificate box.
- In the Provisional Profile box, select the Xcode project that you created earlier.
- On the Bottom right corner of the iOS app signer, there is a Start button. Click on it and the IPA file of Kodi Download will be saved on the desktop.
- Go to Xcode and select your Apple TV from Window. Click on Add(+) and select the IPA file and click on open.
After these steps are complete, you should be able to view Kodi on your Apple TV. This is all there is to this process. You should be able to enjoy the Kodi download on your Apple TV without any hindrances.
FAQs Kodi App
Users who use Kodi on a regular basis are pretty much used to the app since they have been using the app for quite some time. But new users face some problems or rather, they need to understand some of the content of this App. Some of the FAQs of Kodi download app are given below.
- Who is team Kodi?
- Now the answer to this question is; it is a group of individuals that develop and maintain the app and its website.
- Can I watch live TV with this?
- Yes, you can watch live TV with this app. This app features a strong Live TV ability and you can easily watch Live TV using the app.
- Can I install Kodi on my Xbox360, PS4/3, or Wii/U?
- This app is not to be confused with the original XBMC4Xbox which is the effort to run Kodi on the original Xbox.
- And the answer to the above question is NO. To run this app on these consoles, you reverse engineering which has not happened to this consoles. Not yet anyway.
These were some of the most frequently asked questions about Kodi download app. If you want to read the FAQ section then you can check out the community forum that deals with it.
About Kodi & XBMC
This App is an award-winning open source and software for playing media. This app was formerly known as XBMC. It was originally developed as an independent media player for the Xbox consoles. Some time later, it was made available for various platforms such as Android, Linux, Windows, iOS, mac-OS, and BSD.
Kodi App uses a 10 foot UI for media playing on TV using remote controls. Users can use it to view and stream media either from your local or network storage. You can also use it to stream content directly from the internet via different streaming websites of your choice.
This app is considered the best alternative for Windows media Center across various platforms for home theater. You can easily customize Kodi APK through the various skins that you can find in the user database. You can use a lot of plug-ins and enhance your viewing experience by many folds. One such plug-in allows you to stream media from online services as I have mentioned above.
Let’s see a bit about its history. It was developed by the non-profit consortium which goes by the name of XBMC foundation. It was originally an homebrew software media player app and its name was Xbox Media Center, which we came to know as XBMC. Kodi for Android is an open source and free software and the core of this app is in C++ of ANSI standard.
Features of Kodi Download Android App:
After looking at all the basic information about the Kodi App, it’s time to glance over the features. These features have brought this app an award along with winning the hearts of millions of people all around the world. Let’s see how it was able to able to do that.
Here is the list of all the features of the Kodi Program.
- Kodi for Android, iPhone, PC supports a wide range of media formats for Videos, Music, and Images. It supports audio formats such as MP3, AAC, AAC+, APE, FLAV, etc. just to name some of them.
- It also has the feature of audio visualization and screensaver for songs.There is an audio-video playlist function and also an image slideshow feature.
- The video client that are on the app offer resolutions of 720p, 1080i and 1080p HD res. Another interesting feature of using Kodi APK is that it has a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) which lets you capture video and play it from your storage device.
- Video formats include MPEG-4, MPEG-2, HuffYUV, etc. It also supports physical digital media such as Blu-Ray, DVDs, CD’s, Pen drives and local hard disk drives.
- If you want to get the movie posters and cool fan-arts for the movies and TV shows you have stored on your device, then Kodi App has you covered. This app is connected to some sites such as IMDb which provide information about movies. Hence, you can get all the posters, information and everything you want regarding a movie.
- As mentioned earlier it supports 74 languages with the subtitle translators. So some of the subtitle formats supported are .srt, .sub, and .smi etc. The structure of Kodi Download is such that if the language you are looking for is not available, or not up-to-date, you can resolve that issue by editing simple strings in an XML-file, which you can submit to the project management of XBMC Download App.
- It also supports Chromecast. If you have the app on your smartphone, then you can use Chromecast to view the media content on your HDTV.
- You can change the Interface of this app according to your choice with the help of tons of skins that are available on the user community database. Even you can make your own as you wish.
The humongous list of features of Kodi App that you have seen above speaks volumes about the popularity of this app. Why it was able to surpass many other apps in its competition can only be imagined. Finally, let’s move on to next parts of the article to take a look at the Kodi download guides for various platforms.
In conclusion to this article, I’d like to thank all the readers here. I hope that all have understood the procedure to download Kodi App on Android, iPhone & PC devices. The only thing left for me to add is to tell you to grab this amazing app and utilize all the amazing features it has to offer. If you have any query about this article, feel free to contact us.